Esch-sur-Sûre Cloth Factory
The old cloth factory was converted into the Nature Park Centre in 1992 and ever since then has housed the reception centre with an interactive exhibition about the Nature Park, a shop selling regional products and a museum showing how wool was processed into cloth (spinning, weaving and finishing).
The old craft traditions of the region are preserved in accordance with one of the aims of the Upper Sûre Nature Park. The history of weaving in Esch-sur-Sûre goes back to the 16th century inasmuch its origins coincide with the invention of the first wool processing machinery. Martin Schoetter-Greisch set up a fulling machine in 1807 and installed the first spinning machine 10 years later. The factory was enlarged in 1866 to allow all the operations that make up cloth production to be carried out. The carefully restored wool-processing machines can thus still be seen in the cloth factory and are operated during guided tours (on request).